25 years ago a campus parking lot sprouted a state-of-the-art greenhouse and conservatory. Since then over 30,000 students in hundreds of classes, not to mention countless visitors have come to learn about plants and be surrounded by green, growing things.
You can be a part of the next 25 years of growing and learning! Help us replace our aging equipment with new, modern systems – like LED light fixtures that weren’t even available when we first opened last century. Make a donation at https://jumpstart.supportuw.org/campaigns/the-dc-smith-greenhouse#/
Come see how we grow! The greenhouse is open to the public weekdays from 7AM to 6PM or visit one of our outreach events this spring. Find current event information at http://science.wisc.edu
- Saturday April 9th is UW Science Expeditions. We will be open 10AM-2PM. Free house plants grown by students will be available for everyone while supplies last..
- Saturday May 7th is UW Family Gardening Day. We will be open 10AM-1PM and sharing free vegetable transplants grown by students.
Stay up to date on events and happenings at the DC Smith Instructional Greenhouse by joining our mailing list. https://forms.gle/5bbqAdbRvKrXhnP36 Events are free and open to the public.
We have been the teaching greenhouse for the UW-Madison College of Agriculture for 25 years!
Join us April 9th for UW Science Expeditions and to celebrate our 25th Anniversary! Stop by the greenhouse from 10-2 for a tour from horticulture students, hands-on activities and free houseplants (while supplies last).
Click here to get updates on events and happenings at the DC Smith Instructional Greenhouse.
As it grows colder outside, come indoors and enjoy the warm, green glow from our conservatory plants.
We are open weekdays from 8AM to 4PM.
On Saturday May 6, 2017 from 10am to 1pm join us for the 12th Annual UW Family Gardening Day at D.C. Smith Greenhouse, 465 Babcock Drive; Allen Centennial Gardens, 620 Babcock Drive; and Steenbock Memorial Library, 550 Babcock Drive.
You can park nearby at Lot 40 (460 Babcock Drive), Lot 36 (1645 Observatory Drive) and Lot 34 (1480 Tripp Circle).
UW Family Gardening Day gives everyone a chance to see & explore some of the splendid facilities for teaching, research and outreach in the plant sciences as well as to tour the beautiful gardens on campus. We look forward to seeing you there!
- Free, family friendly event
- Tour D.C. Smith Instructional Greenhouse and look at insects under a microscope, learn about research happening at the UW Biotron or construct unconventional flower arrangements.
- Visit Allen Centennial Gardens for inspiring home garden ideas. While you’re there, pick up a Pasta Four-Pack (while supplies last)
- Check out the Steenbock library for the Library Gardening Collection and a UW-Extension Master Gardener Q&A session (they will also hand out pots of disease resistant Iron Lady tomato plants while supplies last)
- Children can also assemble tiny terrariums (using deli containers they can take home) at Steenbock Library with students from the BioCommons
- Stop by the Babcock Hall Dairy Store for tasty treats (11:00-4:00)
- Explore hands-on activities with soil, seeds and seedlings
- Build a terrarium or look at insects under a microscope
- Use all 5 of your senses to experience plants
Hope to see you there!
On the UW Campus at D.C. Smith Greenhouse, Steenbock Library, the UW Biotron and Allen Centennial Gardens
Saturday, May 7th from 9AM – 1PM
- Gardening advice
- Free vegetable plants
- Ideas for gardening in limited spaces
- Kids! Make a living locket or terrarium
- Try adaptive gardening tools
- Free parking in UW lots 34, 36, and 40
Find more details at http://bit.ly/familygardening
The greenhouse will be open from 10-2. Find details at www.science.wisc.edu
The Wisconsin Science Festival is next month. The DC Smith Greenhouse will be part of the action on October 16th and 17th. From 9AM to 2PM both days we’ll offer hands-on activities and plant science displays.
Stop by to experience the fascinating world of plants! We’re just a short walk from the Discovery Center and on the way to the Babcock Dairy Store!
It’s the start of a whole new school year. We’re looking forward to seeing you in the greenhouse!
Feel free to stop by for a study break in the conservatory or to check out what’s growing in the greenhouses.
Join us May 10 to kickstart your garden!
At UW Family Gardening Day you can
- tour the Allen Centennial Gardens to get ideas for gardening in small and urban spaces
- get gardening advice from Master Gardener Volunteers
- pick up a fourpack of vegetable transplants
- get your hands dirty making a terrarium or living locket
We’ll be on hand from 10AM til 2PM to share our know-how and enthusiasm for plants and gardens.
Thanks to everyone who visited us for Science Expeditions 2014!
Check out our facebook page to see the cool arrangements that you made.
We are open weekdays from 8-4 or visit us Saturday, May 10 for UW Family Gardening Day!